Thursday, January 12, 2012

Random Thoughts



 As I write this blog I’m seven days into my radiation therapy which is exactly 1/5th of the way through.  That might not sound like a big deal to some but it’s a big deal to me.  Every day closer to the end is a big deal to me.  It’s also enough time for me to formulate some random thoughts about where I’ve been and what I’ve experienced.
When the Dr. first told me that I had cancer my first feeling was anger.  But I wasn’t angry with God.  I was angry that cancer is a part of this sinful fallen world and that anyone has to have it.  As time went on that anger remained but it slowly became replaced by a resolute trust in a Sovereign God who doesn’t make mistakes.  That’s not to say that I don’t have my “down” times. The absolute last thing that I want to do is make it seem as if I’m some kind of spiritual giant in this journey.  Sandy and I both continue to have moments when fear creeps in.  We continue to shed tears and fight the temptation to ask, “Why me?”  But here’s the great thing about faith…it’s a foundational thing that keeps the fear and the tears and the questions from being in control. 
Every time I go to the cancer center I’m struck by the kindness of those who are working/serving there.  I guess we get used to some pretty lousy customer service when we shop and dine, etc.  But I’ve encountered a lot of kindness in my cancer journey.  There should really be a way to honor people who give hope to the hurting.
I seem to be the youngest person in the Cancer Center…and I’m not that young.  I mentioned that to Sandy today and then said, “That just gives me a longer period of time to be a cancer survivor.” 
I ran across this quote today when I was doing some study.  “God brings men into deep waters, not to drown them, but to cleanse them.”  (John Aughey)  I don’t think I have cancer because God is punishing me.  That thought never crossed my mind.  I do believe, however, that every Christian could use some cleansing on a practical level.  I’m praying that God would do just that for me.
One thought that keeps coming to my mind is, “Will my life ever get back to being normal?”  In some ways I believe that it will.  I’ll have normal days with normal activities and normal outcomes.  At the same time I hope that it doesn’t in the sense that, just like Jacob walked with a limp after he wrestled with God (Genesis 32), I can see great value in “limping” through the rest of my life because the limp will always remind me of an incredible encounter with God. 
Finally, one of the things that sustains me is the knowledge that thousands of people continue to pray for me.  I don’t know where I’d be without the prayers of God’s people.  Please continue to pray for me, Sandy, Andrew, Tricia, Kara and Grace.  I love you all and can’t tell you how much I miss being with you each weekend. 
Jesus cares,
Pastor Chris
Specific Prayers:
1.     Pray that I will be able to eat and drink and maintain my weight.
2.     Pray that some of the “extra” problems I’ve had this first couple of weeks (cold – stomach problems) will go away and not make this more difficult than it has to be.
3.     Pray for my Dr.’s (Dr. Garrett – Dr. Fairchild – Dr. Smith) as well as the nurses and therapists who are caring for me (too many to name).
4.     Pray that my witness will be strong.
5.     Pray that every day the cancer in my neck and throat is being completely destroyed and eradicated from my body.
6.     Pray God’s blessing on the church and all of our staff.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Pastor Chris, I really appreciate your sharing what you are going through and it brings back so much of the feelings and emotions I went through almost 9 years ago. In fact I am writing this through tears of gratitude for where my life is today. I have "normal" days with "normal" activities and "normal" outcomes; but my life is not the same as it was on April 24, 2003 and every day prior and I pray that it never will be. I am closer to the Lord than I ever dreamed possible and I am keenly aware that every day is a gift from Him. The difficult days of treatment and unpleasant side effects make every "normal" day so much sweeter. Thank you for letting us know specifically how to pray for you and your family. We miss you and pray that God will just wrap you in His loving arms and carry you through the difficult times. Take care! Linda Hughes

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you. I will continue to pray for you and your family and the church staff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have and will continue to hold you & your family up to our God daily. Chris, we are in Marco, Florida and during the winter go the Capri Christian Church. We've told Pastor Curt Ayers about you. I know that he knows you and now is also praying for you. Take care, we love you.
    Linda & Jim Greer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being so strong through the storm. Your fortitude lends a vision of hope for us all..Continued prayer and knowledge of God being in control will sustain you thru this challenging time. Thinking of you and your family at this time with a grateful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris, it was so good to read your thoughts. I feel so blessed to have been attending Mount Pleasant and getting to hear God share through you. It is wonderful to see a man of faith sharing his love for his maker. I know God is working within you to help all of us in some way. We all have our moments of doubt and despair and to see the transparency of your experience and to know that you keep your faith renewed and alive is quite awesome. We will continue to pray for you, your family, the church and for the Holy Spirit to move through all of us to do a great work from this. Christian love is so powerful! Hope to see you soon, Keven Sipe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Pastor Chris, Your comment about the deep waters reminds me my favorite chapter, Isaiah 43, selected verses state:
    "Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned, the flames will not set you ablaze....(VS10) You are my witness declares the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen so that you may know and believe me and understand that I AM he. Before me no god was formed, nor will there be one after me, I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior. I have reveled and saved and proclaimed-I, and not some foreign god among you. You are my witness, declares the Lord, that I am God.

    What a blessing in the midst of our trials to remember that "we are God's", He has chosen us and He will not let the water sweep over us.
    Praying blessings over you, your staff, medical team, and family.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pastor Chris, As I sit here reading your blog it's hard not to just get in the car, come over there & give you a great big hug. Don't worry that's not going to happen. I know you aren't a hugger. LOL. I am though, so that's always my first instinct, consider yourself hugged. What I can, have & will continue to do is pray for each of your specific requests often everyday. We miss you greatly & can hardly wait for God to bring you through this journey and back to all of us, your congregation, friends & family. We love you as our faithful brother in Christ. Patty Huxley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there ...
    It's Stacey (the sweet southern girl) again. You cross our minds on a very regular basis and enter in our prayers even more regularly. Congrats on completing 1/5 of your treatments. You are doing exactly what you should be doing ... celebrating the small victories along the way. There are many more ahead. We look forward to sharing them all with you. We miss you at church. It's not the same without you.

    Prayers, positive thoughts, & love in Christ,
    Brian & Stacey Pettit

    ReplyDelete

Please leave you comment.

Chris' Blog

About Me

381 N. Bluff Rd. Greenwood IN, 46142