Saturday, January 7, 2012




There are two things I believe about 2012 at Mount Pleasant Christian Church.  First, it’s going to be a year of great learning for me and two, it’s going to be one of the greatest years in the history of the church. 
I write those words as I find myself in the beginning stages of my treatment for a cancer that began in my right tonsil and has spread to two lymph nodes on the right side of my neck.  Already I am learning the importance of patience and allowing someone else to be in control of what’s happening in my life.  Those are not easy lessons…especially for me.  I’m also learning the value of trusting others to do what I often convince myself I can do better.  That’s an extremely difficult lesson to learn.  But I know that God is involved in all of this and when the conclusion to this chapter of my life is written it will be for my good and God’s glory. 
I also believe that God is going to do some great things at Mount Pleasant throughout this process as well.  We just finished an incredible year of ministry filled with too many highlights to mention.  And I can tell you that, from a leadership perspective, we’ve got some great plans for the future.  In fact, as I write these words I am chomping at the bit to share some exciting news about future expansion but I’ve got to wait until all the pieces are in place.  In the meantime, I want to encourage you to continue to be faithful in your worship, service and stewardship.  I’m not going to be able to be in the pulpit for a while but I know you’ll be blessed by the speakers we’ve got lined up.  Here’s a look at the next several weeks:
  • January 7/8 – Andrew Philbeck (my son and one of my favorite preachers)
  • January 14/15 – Kenneth Philbeck (my brother and the East Campus Pastor at Savannah Christian Church, Savannah, Ga)
  • January 21/22 – Kenneth Philbeck
  • January 28/29 – Andrew Philbeck
  • February 4/5 – Ajai Lall (President and Director of Central India Christian Mission)
  • February 11/12 – Ajai Lall
I know you’ll be blessed by each message these men will deliver and I believe that this will be an opportunity to have a front row seat to see how God is going to continue to build His church even in circumstances we would have never sought on our own. 
Please continue to pray for me and my family and pray for Mount Pleasant.  Paul writes about the power of perseverance in I Corinthians 9.  My favorite part comes in verse 24 when he writes, Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  (NIV)  I’m looking forward to seeing how God will bless and reward each of us for continuing to run the race of faithfulness.
Jesus cares,
Pastor Chris

7 comments:

  1. God bless you& your family Pastor Chris. Will be in church every Sat. night.Your son does a great job preaching Gods word. Will keep you in my prayers. God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always Pastor Chris, thoughts and prayers for you and Sandy. Like you, I'm not very good at letting others take control. But, once we can do that, we open ourselves to seeing God's blessing so much easier in our life! In Him,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your messages will be missed but I also know that God is good and he will continue to guide you and all others through this difficult time.
    God Bless You and Your family,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our prayers continue! Love to you and your wonderful family! Cory and Diane Schmelzle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastor Chris, One of the many things you've taught me in the 7 1/2 years we been coming to MPCC is to listen to Gods words and not to the one speaking them. It's always a surprise to me when I look back & think "so this is what He was preparing me for!". Our prayers have always been for you and your family only now they are focused on a very specific need and we are holding you and your family up in prayer continually each day. Bob & Patty Huxley

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are inspiring to know and have as our Pastor. May God bless you richly on this journey, as you continue to know Him more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words have always encouraged me. We were both new to MPCC at the same time. My life has changed by the words you have spoken and I have come to look forward to seeing how my life was going to change week after week of applying your teachings to my life. Your words have changed my life. I'm hoping my prayers can change your's also. What a blessing you are to me and my family. I pray for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave you comment.

Chris' Blog

About Me

381 N. Bluff Rd. Greenwood IN, 46142