Monday, March 26, 2012

Just Say It!


It’s Monday morning and I’m in my office enjoying a feeling of normalcy that I haven’t experienced in a long time.  I can walk down the hall and greet my staff, I can see people sitting in the Connection Café enjoying a cup of coffee and I can hear the preschool class that meets directly below my office. 
Now I know better than anyone that I’ve still got a long way to go until real normalcy returns.  I’ve got Dr.’s appointments and I’ve got a date with a PET scan that will tell me if the treatments were successful and the cancer is gone.  But I’m enjoying the ability to “live in the moment” which is something that all of us needs to do regardless of our circumstance.  And one of the most important aspects of living in the moment is making sure you let the people who are closest to you know how much you love and appreciate them. 
In the movie Love Actually, Hugh Grants character says in the introduction, “When the planes hit the twin towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge.  They were all messages of love.”  We should think about that for a minute.  I think everyone would agree that there’s something about difficulty and tragedy that causes you to see and understand what really matters.  That’s something that we know but often forget.  I can think of a lot of things that seemed really important to me before my diagnosis that seem of little consequence today.  What does seem important to me is making sure that the people in my life know how much I love them…how much I value them…how empty my life would be without them.  That’s something I don’t ever want to lose sight of. 
I think we can see that the apostle Paul understood how important this is when he writes things like, I thank God every time I think of you, in Philippians 1:3.  That’s just one example…his New Testament writings are filled with these kinds of words. 
If you take the time to listen you will find that most people don’t have any problem telling you how they feel about things like politics or sports or any number of other worldly things.  But how much time do we spend making sure we tell other people what we think and how we feel about them?  That has become a renewed priority for me and I hope it will become a one for you as well.  Who do you need to talk to today?  Who do you need to write a note or send a card to today?  Who needs to hear, “I love you” or “I thank God for you” or “I don’t know where I’d be without you?” from you today?  Don’t wait for some kind of trial or tragedy to remind you how important this is…do it today!
Jesus cares,
Pastor Chris
P.S. Please continue to keep me in your prayers.  I continue to make great progress in my healing from the treatments.  I’m taking all my “food” by mouth now and not using my feeding tube.  In fact, last night when we were “flushing” the tube it actually came out of my stomach on its own.  My mouth and throat aren’t completely healed and so I’m limited in what I can eat but I’m making progress.  Please continue to pray for my mouth and throat to heal and please continue to pray that my follow-up PET scan (yet to be scheduled) will show that the treatments worked and the cancer is gone.  I love and appreciate all of you and am so thankful for your encouragement and prayers.  I thank God every time I think of you! 

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you now. I just feel that the cancer is gone. I remember so well how I felt when I heard those words. It has been 11 years now and I am still cancer free.
    I pray this for you. I know that you will have to have many more check ups for many years. It is good that they will continue to check on you and it is so reassuring to have them do that.
    My God continue to Bless you as you continue to heal. Olive

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good seeing you (in person) yesterday. In fact it made my day!! Then to be one of the many that received a hug, prayers are being answered today and days to come.

    It is so true what you wrote makes you stop and think.

    I know God is using you as an example and such a great witness, just seeing you and hearing your voice is proof.

    Prayers still coming your way for you and y
    our family.

    In Christian Love

    Regie Hine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you for your courage to face all these difficulties and still remind us of all the love in the world and how to express it.
    Karen Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Chris, we love you and thank God for you daily! So glad to hear you are healing well and making wonderful progress - Great Joy!!!!
    Lynn Albin

    ReplyDelete

Please leave you comment.

Chris' Blog

About Me

381 N. Bluff Rd. Greenwood IN, 46142