Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Blue Bell Prayer


In my last blog entry I shared some thoughts about friendship based on a recent trip Sandy and I took to Houston. I have to be honest, though, and tell you that one of the things I miss the most about living in Houston (and Broken Arrow), is Blue Bell Ice Cream. Now if you've been a part of the Mount Pleasant family for any length of time, you know that I have a slight addiction to Blue Bell. My recent trip to Houston didn't help this addiction as I discovered a new flavor called "Candy Jar." Listen to how Blue Bell describes "Candy Jar" ice cream on their web site. "Rich caramel ice cream containing all of your favorite candy pieces - peanut butter cups, chocolate chunks, peanut brittle, chunks of caramel, and chocolate crisp pieces." Who could say "no" to that?

The original Blue Bell creamery is located in Brenham, Texas, located just outside of Houston so there was never any problem getting the ice cream there. The second creamery Blue Bell opened just happened to be in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, and its opening just happened to coincide with my family moving to Broken Arrow. But, alas, there is no Blue Bell joy in Greenwood, Indiana. So for the past eight years I've had to be satisfied with occasional splurges of three gallon containers of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla purchased from Carrabbas restaurant or a few days of Blue Bell gluttony when I'm on vacation. But the winds of change just might be blowing through Central Indiana.

According to INDYSTAR.COM Blue Bell has plans to break into the Indianapolis market with the construction of a cold storage warehouse on the northwest side. The article says, "Plans for an Indianapolis distribution facility appear to signal a major move into Northern markets."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100215/BUSINESS/2130332/Blue-Bell-ice-cream-hopes-to-build-here?GID=3eT7/UFIjiUdALQLCWsKAq3l4Ku0KQflkgsHVWyLF0M%3D

Suffice it to say that we've all got something new to add to our prayer lists. If Blue Bell does make its way to Indianapolis, I'm going to be modest and only claim somewhere between 75% to 90% responsibility.

You can thank me later,

Pastor Chris

6 comments:

  1. This made me laugh! Although, I realize that your Blue Bell is not a laughing matter. But, thanks anyway for the giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah!!!! Those trips to Florida are a little pricey for BB! They do have it across the state line in KY :) Now I have to find that candy flavor! Thanks for the tip and support of BB!! And all you bring to my Christian faith journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the Blue Bell obesity devil has now spread its tentacles to the Indy market. Be not seduced by Candy Jar ingredients. Beware that these occansional indulgences do not become a daily need. Hope you're stronger than I. Those ingredients just wiped out all my control.
    Jane Bowman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeeha! Just a little closer to heaven! See Chris, you follow where HE leads and HE blesses! Glad to have you in Greenwood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya know, Chris...

    Broken Arrow sends a marching band to the Bands of America National Championships every year. Some 80+ bands compete at Lucal Oil Stadium a week or two before Thanksgiving.

    I wonder if can make a friend in their marching band program. A cooler. Some dry ice. A little fix while we wait for that "other" blessing to materialize...

    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris,
    Reading your blog on Blue Bell Ice Cream reminded me of how much I still miss your sermons in Broken Arrow. Though Blue Bell was not the topic. Greenwood you are lucky to have Chris.
    Rhonda Mathis, B.A. OK

    ReplyDelete

Please leave you comment.

Chris' Blog

About Me

381 N. Bluff Rd. Greenwood IN, 46142