Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Being A Parent

I’m writing this blog entry while my son and daughter-in-law are in town. That means I’ve got both of my children at home at the same time. That’s something that just doesn’t happen very often. In addition, my younger sister is here with her three children that I’m very close to. The whole experience has got me thinking about the great joy and the great responsibility that comes with being a parent.

I’ve never known any parent who didn’t want the best for their children. I’ve heard and read stories about neglectful parents and absentee parents but I’ve never known any personally. The parents I know love and nurture their children. And that’s where parenting can sometimes get difficult. I write that because in our efforts to give our children the life they (we) always wanted it’s sometimes hard to recognize the things that are best for them.

That point was driven home to me in an on-line article I read in Leadership journal. It was written by John Ortberg, one of my favorite authors. He wrote: Psychologist Jonathon Haidt had a hypothetical exercise: Imagine that you have a child, and for five minutes you're given a script of what will be that child's life. You get an eraser. You can edit it. You can take out whatever you want.

You read that your child will have a learning disability in grade school. Reading, which comes easily for some kids, will be laborious for yours.
In high school, your kid will make a great circle of friends; then one of them will die of cancer.
After high school this child will actually get into the college they wanted to attend. While there, there will be a car crash, and your child will lose a leg and go through a difficult depression.
A few years later, your child will get a great job—then lose that job in an economic downturn.
Your child will get married, but then go through the grief of separation.
You get this script for your child's life and have five minutes to edit it.
What would you erase?
Wouldn't you want to take out all the stuff that would cause them pain?

I am part of a generation of adults called "helicopter parents," because we're constantly trying to swoop into our kid's educational life, relational life, sports life, etc., to make sure no one is mistreating them, no one is disappointing them. We want them to experience one unobstructed success after another.

What should be the goal of our parenting…to give our children happy lives free from anything difficult or unpleasant; or to do our best to see that our children grow up to be the men and women that God wants them to be knowing that God uses difficulty and adversity to shape and mold? Is it better for our children to never learn the meaning of sacrifice or the benefit of doing something that they, at least initially, don’t want to do? Or is it in their best interest to experience what life is really like by learning that life is not perfect, no one gets their way all the time, and children don’t always know what’s best for them?

Sometimes I fear that in our efforts to give our children everything they/we want we fail to give them what they need. One of the most troubling statistics that I have read in recent years is the high percentage of young people who drop out of the church between the ages of 18-22. Thom Rainer writes a lot about this in his book Essential Church. He writes that more than two-thirds of church going young adults between the ages of 18-22 drop out of church. He then gives a “Top Ten Reasons” list for the dropout.

1. Simply wanted a break from church.
2. Church members seemed judgmental or hypocritical.
3. Moved to college and stopped attending church.
4. Work responsibilities prevented me from attending.
5. Moved too far away from the church to continue attending.
6. Became too busy though still wanted to attend.
7. Didn’t feel connected to the people in my church.
8. Disagreed with the church’s stance on political or social issues.
9. Chose to spend more time with friends outside the church.
10. Was only going to please others.

I’m a big fan of Thom Rainer and I’m sure that he did a lot of research in compiling his “top ten” list. I wonder though, if there’s not something missing. If it were me, I would add one more thing. We’ll just call it number 11.

11. Never really taught the importance.

Proverbs 3:1-6 says, My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart, for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity. Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight. (NIV)

Jesus cares,

Pastor Chris

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts about parenting. It is hard for me being that I am 7,000 miles away missing a hugh chunk of my daughter's life but I believe God will lead me in parenting. Thanks for you words each week. I do listen to your sermons via podcast and get inspirded with each sermon. Keep teaching the way you do. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I can hardly believe that I am reading the above post, for it is from my very own one and only love of my life...my husband! I had no idea that he had left a comment, b/c we have not had a "real" conversation in a while. He is in Iraq, and I have been home raising our little daughter to the best of my abilities with God as my guide. I have done much soul searching as I have been going through this journey of "single" parenting over the past year. I am a strong Christian and I love the Lord with all of my heart. I am in constant prayer over our marriage and our daughter. It is of the utmost importance to me to raise our daughter to be a God-fearing daughter of the King. I crave Christ-like, Bible based guidance on how to raise such a beautiful daughter. I find it difficult at times and often wonder if I am doing this right. There are so many obstacles, it seems, in this day in age. So many questions that need Godly answers. Even though this is our first child, I often think that parenting is more confusing than it has ever been in times past. But when I start to get confused or start to question, I always look to my heavenly Father and ask Him each and every time for Him to guide and direct our path. I'm pretty sure that this is happens at least three or four times a day:) I love the song by 4 Him, called The Basics of Life:

    We’ve Turned the Page, For a New Day Has Dawned
    We’ve Re-arranged What Is Right and What’s Wrong
    Somehow We’ve Drifted So Far From the Truth
    That We Can’t Get Back Home
    Where Are the Virtues That Once Gave Us Light
    Where Are the Morals That Governed Our Lives
    Someday We All Will Awake and Look Back
    Just to Find What We’ve Lost

    We Need to Get Back
    To the Basics of Life
    A Heart That Is Pure
    And a Love That Is Blind
    A Faith That Is Fervently
    Grounded in Christ
    The Hope That Endures For All Times
    These Are the Basics,
    We Need to Get Back
    To the Basics of Life

    The Newest Rage Is to Reason It Out
    Just Meditate and You Can Overcome Every Doubt
    After All Man Is a God, They Say
    God Is no Longer Alive

    But I Still Believe in the Old Rugged Cross
    And I Still Believe There Is Hope For the Lost
    And I Know the Rock of All Ages Will Stand
    Through Changes of Time

    We Need to Get Back
    To the Basics of Life
    A Heart That Is Pure
    And a Love That Is Blind
    A Faith That Is Fervently
    Grounded in Christ
    The Hope That Endures For All Times
    These Are the Basics,
    We Need to Get Back
    To the Basics of Life

    Bridge
    We’ve Let the Darkness Invade Us Too Long
    We’ve Got to Turn the Tide
    Oh and We Need the Passion That Burned Long Ago
    To Come and Open Our Eyes
    There’s no Room For Compromise

    We Need to Get Back
    To the Basics of Life
    A Heart That Is Pure
    And a Love That Is Blind

    We Need to Get Back
    To the Basics of Life
    A Heart That Is Pure
    The Hope That Endures For All Times
    These Are the Basics,
    We Need to Get Back
    To the Basics of Life

    I guess what I want to say is that my husband and I welcome any and all teaching on parenting. I could never get enough. And I also want to say how wonderful it has been for my husband to get to listen to your sermons online. It has been an blessing beyond measure. So if ever there's a time when you question if you are making a difference, just remember that for a year my husband was soaking up every word you spoke from the Lord's house and it has been an added blessing to our marriage. It's stronger and more grounded that it has ever been.

    I eagerly await for my husband's return. And I am looking forward to hearing more about what God is teaching you.

    Craving Christ,

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave you comment.

Chris' Blog

About Me

381 N. Bluff Rd. Greenwood IN, 46142